The Joburg Centre for Software Engineering (JCSE) is a three way partnership between government, academia and industry. Based at Wits University, the JCSE is multifaceted with various programmes and facilities positioning it as a focal point of a software development industry for South Africa and the rest of the continent.
The JCSE strongly supports the City’s “Joburg 2030 Vision”, which sees Johannesburg becoming a World Class city with service delivery and efficiencies that meet global best practice. It supports this goal by promoting best practice in software development within an African context; growing the country’s capacity to deliver world class software; and developing research and training initiatives to strengthen the local software development industry.
This is done practically by offering various courses to industry, hosting laboratories, housing start-up companies in its pre-incubator, hosting the Gauteng SPIN (Software Process Improvement Network) and Extreme Programming (XP) forum meetings, conducting research and promoting the adoption of the Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI®) process improvement model in South Africa.
- Improving processes: Promoting international best practice in Software Engineering within an African context.
- Promoting investment: Establishing a business friendly environment that attracts investment in the local ICT industry.
- Supporting transformation: Aligning with the objectives of the ICT Charter, to create new leaders and to encourage the growth of SMME’s in the sector.
- Encouraging innovation: Applied research, technology incubation and IP development.
- Building capacity and skills: Educating experts to lead Africa’s software development sector.
To keep in touch with the JCSE please register for our e-newsletter by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org